With auto break-ins a persistent issue in San Francisco, it’s important that residents and visitors keep their belongings safe when parking throughout the city. Here’s a rundown of easy-to-follow “Park Smart” tips and safe habits to adopt that should prove useful.
- If you love it, don’t leave it. Don’t tempt a thief by leaving valuables in your parked car such as cell phones and tablets; luggage and shopping bags; wallets and passports; purses and backpacks; and laptops and cameras.
- Turn off the ignition. Never leave your car running unattended.
- Keep your vehicle and tires in good condition. This helps prevent breakdowns which could strand you in a dark or unfamiliar place.
- Lock your doors when you get in your car.
- If you see something, say something. If you see a motorist in distress, call 9-1-1 versus stopping to help.
- Clear your trunk and take your valuables with you every time you leave your car.
- If you are being followed, drive to the nearest police or fire station; a populated area is a good default.
Please view and download these Park Smart flyers.